Mum warns of fidget spinner danger after daughter's surgery

omg 19/05/2017

The family of a 10-year-old Texas girl who swallowed part of a fidget spinner - a new toy craze - says they're too focused on getting her better than dealing with the international attention.

Kelly Joniec's recollection of her daughter Britton's encounter with the toy - marketed as an aid for those who have trouble focusing - has gone viral after she swallowed a small part of the device.

The post has been shared more than 700,000 times.

The toys have become a worldwide craze and have since been banned in some UK schools.

In the Facebook post, Ms Joneic wrote she and Britton were on their way to a swim meet when she "made an odd retching noise" in the back seat.

"Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth - she could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over. She pointed to her throat saying she'd swallowed something, so I attempted Heimlich but there was no resistance."

She says Britton managed to say she'd put part of the toy in her mouth to clean it and accidentally swallowed it.

She was rushed to hospital, but doctors couldn't find out where the blockage might be. The small component had a hole in the middle to allow air through.

An x-ray showed the spinner bushing lodged in her oesophagus. She was taken into surgery where the item, about 20mm wide, was removed successfully.

At the end of her post, she issues a warning to other parents saying the parts come out easily and she's concerned they don't come with an age warning.

Read more at Newshub.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Viber Share to WhatsApp Share to Email