The first Coromandel's More FM Mount Everest Challenge is BACK until June 30th, proudly supported by Pak'N Save Thames & Safer Coromandel.
The original concept, was to climb a local mountain, hill, or flight of stairs as many times as it takes to climb Mount Everest's 8,848 metres over 60 days to raise money for our local volunteer emergency services. (See our FAQs below for heaps more info!)
But, we're changing it up for the last few weeks:
- 1. Continue from where you left off.
- 2. Join in and do what you can - ie: pick a local walk, or climb, and get sponsored to do it.
- 3. Dig deep and simply donate what you can.
The first 100 entries to contact us at email@example.com get an official T-Shirt!
We want to raise as much for these local emergency services as possible, and set the bar even higher for next year!
Which local emergency services will benefit?
- Volunteer Fire Brigades: Colville, Kaiaua, Kennedy Bay, Kuaotunu, Manaia, Mangatangi, Maramarua, Matarangi, Port Charles, Whangapoua, Cooks Beach, Coromandel Town, Hahei, Tairua, Pauanui, Onemana, Whangamata, Thames, Whiritoa, Puriri, Turua, Paeroa, Waihi, Te Aroha, Mayor View, Tahuna, Tapu, Ngatea & Whitianga.
- LandSearch And Rescue: Kuaotunu, Tairua-Pauanui, Thames, Paeroa & Waihi.
- CoastGuard: Tairua - Pauanui, Waihi Beach, Whangamata, Whitianga & Thames.
- St John Ambulance: Thames, Coromandel, Colville, Hahei, Tairua, Waihi, Waihi Beach, Whangamata, Whitianga, Pauanui, Maramarua, Ngatea, Paeroa, Kaiaua & Te Aroha.
- Surf Lifesaving Clubs: Hot Water Beach, Onemana, Pauanui (& South), Tairua, Waihi Beach, Whangamata (& South) & Whiritoa.
- Coromandel Rescue Helicopter Trust: (relies on donations, and please sign our petition to bring it back during peak holiday periods!)
How much to take part?
A minimum of $20 per person, and anything extra you can spare!
What areas can we climb?
Absolutely ANYWHERE! Here’s some suggestions:
- Waihi Beach Trig - 151m - 58.5 times
- Mount Te Aroha - 952m - 9.2 times
- Thames Pinnacles - 759m - 11.6 times
- Matarangi - Bluff Track - 163m - 54.2 times
- Tairua - Paku - 179m - 49.4 times
- Mount Pauanui - 387m - 22.8 times
- Jacobs Ladder Thames - 23m - 385 times
- Maumaupaki - (Te Mata) 819m - 11 times
- Gentle Annie (Kauaeranga) - 144m - 62 times
Topographic map to figure out the height of your favourite local climb
Other suggestions - can be found on the TCDC's Tracks and Trails Guide
- Coromandel Town Kauri Block Walk
- Tuateawa Nikau Grove Walk
- Waiau Falls and Kauri Grove Lookout Walk
- Cathedral Cove and Hahei Beach
- Karaka-Waiotahi Circuit
- Pumpkin Hill Summit
- Wentworth Valley Falls
What if I want to take part, but climbing isn’t my thing?
Totally fine! We simply ask “What’s your Everest?” You can do ANYTHING to help us climb the fundraising ladder! (Mufti day, bake sale, proceeds from a day’s takings; the limits are endless!)
Can I do it alone?
Is there a limit to my team size?
Not at all!! More the merrier - would offer great support too!
If we’re in a team, can we spread out the climbs between each member?
Yes! For instance, if you have a team of 20 people and you have to climb your local mountain 40 times, do it twice each! That totally counts. If you’re game - do it 40 times!
What dates does it run?
Officially March 15th – May 13th 2020, but feel free to start today!
Any other questions? EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get back to you asap!