As New Zealand prepares itself for a Monday off, the traffic has already started.
NZ Transport has reported that traffic is building around the country, with Auckland’s Takanini already quite heavy at midday.
People have been told to always allow for extra time travel due to the long weekend rush, with traffic outside of Auckland central expected to be busy as late as 8pm tonight going northbound.
Police are also advising people to reduce speeds. Anyone caught driving 4km over the speed limit will be given a ticket.
In 2016, three people were killed in three crashes over Labour weekend.
See the list of NZTA’s 21 Labour Weekend traffic hotspots below, or see the full detailed list on their site.
· SH1 - Takanini (South of Auckland)
· SH2 - Maramarua (East of SH1/SH2 Interchange)
· SH1 - between Puhoi and Wellsford
Bay of Plenty
· SH29 - Kaimai (West of Tauranga)
· SH2 - between Paeroa and Tauranga
· SH73 - Arthur's Pass
· SH1 - Waimakariri
· SH1 - between Ashburton and Christchurch
· SH7 - Lewis Pass
· SH1 - Waipara (North of Christchurch)
· SH2 - Norsewood between Hastings and Woodville SH3
· SH1 - between Taihape and Waiouru
· SH6 - between Nelson and Blenheim
· SH5 - Te Pohue (North of Napier)
· SH1 - Kawakawa (South of Paihia/Bay of Islands)
· SH1 - Whangarei
· SH6 - Queenstown
· SH1 - Taupiri (North of Hamilton)
· SH1 - Karapiro (South of Cambridge)
· SH2 - Rimutaka Hill between Wellington and Featherston
· SH1 - Kapiti Coast