Note: Last updated 11am Monday morning. This article will be updated as more info comes to hand.
A state of emergency has been put in place for Christchurch and the wider canterbury region.
Mayor Lianne Dalziel said it "means all of the region’s resources are available, and we don’t have to worry about territorial boundaries."
A king tide is expected after 8am, which may result in some flooding in some areas.
Update for Selwyn at 8am
Flooding has increased with the rainfall overnight and the Waikirikiri/Selwyn River has now breached its banks below State Highway One.
We are strongly urging people to stay off the roads and avoid unnecessary travel.
A DO NOT CONSUME water notice remains in place for people on the Springfield water supply. The water supply is available for bathing and hygiene purposes, however the Council cannot guarantee the supply is safe to drink.
Precautionary Boil Water notices remain in place for the Arthur's Pass, Hororata, Malvern Hills, Malvern Hills Dalethorpe and Springfiled water supplies
Conserve Water notices remain in place for Castle Hill, Springfield, Malvern Hills and Malvern Hills Dalethorpe, Hororata, Arthur's Pass and Acheron
Canterbury Road Closures
- Eastern Terrace, from Malcolm Street to Tennyson Avenue.
- Eglington Street, from Breezes Road to Woolley Street.
- Woolley Street, from Avondale Road to Waratah Street.
- Avondale Road, from New Brighton Rd/Bassett Street to Breezes Road.
- Newport Road from Emlyn Street to Wainoni Road.
- Owles Terrace, from Hardy Street to Collingwood Road.
- Aynsley Terrace, from Centaurus Road to Opawa Road.
- Clarendon Terrace, from Sheldon Street to Opawa Road.
- Richardson Terrace, from Opawa Road to Mackenzie Avenue.
- McCormacks Bay Road.
- Cumnor Terrace, from Chapmans Road to Garlands Road.
- Ford Road, from Opawa Road to Newbery Road.
- Avonside Road, from Retreat Road to Woodham Road
- River Road, from Banks Avenue to Medway Street.
- SH1 Burnham to Dunsandel
- SH1 Temuka to Hinds - between Arowhenua Rd, Temuka and Lynnford Rd, Hinds.
- SH73 Darfield to Springfield
- SH73 Springfield to Castle Hill - next update due by midday
- SH77 Darfield to Mount Hutt
- SH77 Rakaia Gorge to Winchmore
- SH79 Fairlie to Rangitata
- SH8 Fairlie to Tekapo (Burkes Pass)
Canterbury Schools and Education Centres may be closed today.
The Ministry of Education said "a state of emergency does not automatically mean schools and early learning services will close. Boards and service managers are best placed to assess their local conditions and make these decisions."
"Many have indicated they will make an assessment and a final decision early tomorrow morning. We are working closely with those schools, kura and early learning services that need additional advice and support."
Keep an eye out for info from your local school and if still unsure, you're best to contact them.
Precautionary boil water notices have been issued for the following water supplies:
- Arthur's Pass
- Malvern Hills
- Malvern Hills Dalethorpe
More info on the Christchurch City Council's Newsline website and in Civil Defence Emergency Management in their Facebook post below...