Dargaville may be known as the Kumara Capital of Aotearoa, but something that might just outshine that title is their delectable Mac and Cheese.
In fact, it’s so tasty that even Gary said “that’s really good”.
This recipe is so easy that you can basically wing it and still end up with a cheesy, creamy dish every time.
- A splash of Milk
- An Onion
- Macaroni pasta
- Half a block of Edam cheese
- Mozzarella cheese (to sprinkle on top)
- Shaved ham
- All Purpose seasoning
- 2 teaspoons of Wholegrain mustard
- Panko Breadcrumbs
(This recipe doesn't really use exact measurements so if in doubt, check out the video above)
- Add a decent amount of butter to a hot saucepan and throw in one finely chopped onion. At the same time start boiling water for your pasta
- Chop some ham and add to your onions on the heat. Keep an eyeball on that while it simmers away.
- Grate roughly a ½ of a block of cheese
- Get your pasta (about a whole packet) boiling and add a splash of milk and a majority of the grated cheese to your ham and onion.
- Slowly stir on low heat. Add the remainder of the cheese. Add 2 teaspoons of wholegrain mustard and a bit of all-purpose seasoning.
- Keep stirring until it’s nice and thick.
- Drain your pasta and mix it all together.
- Top it with something nice and crunchy and more cheese and bake til golden.
- Serves roughly 8 people (or 4 VERY hungry people)